Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Grief and loss

Loss can occur suddenly, without rhyme or reason and can cause a huge shock to the system. It's hard to know what to do and you feel numb and exhausted. Some feel the need to talk; others feel the need to be silent. Some throw themselves into work; others take time to smell the roses.

As a dog the only real losses that i've suffered come from loosing a ball. Like when i was swimming in Sydney Harbour the other day - off Mrs Macquarie's Chair with the Harbour Bridge and Opera House in view. It was a magical day. The sun was shining, the tide was up so that i could dive in without hitting the rocks, and i was playing with one of my favourite balls.

And then it sank. Submerged into the water without a trace. No bubbles, Nothing.

i kept swimming around in circles, like a shark, trying to round the ball up, But, alas, it was not to be found. I started to panic a little, thinking that i had done something wrong, that it was my fault. i was angry with myself.

A lady commented to the Boss: “That’s unusual behaviour for a dog.

Yeah, he’s suffering some anxiety from loosing his ball. It just sunk,” He said,

The Boss called me over and pulled me out of the water. i shook myself dry and then he hugged me…. the best hug ever. The Boss went and found a surrogate ball – a used water bottle – but it was not the same. The wind caught it and it didn’t fly in the air anywhere near as well. And i had difficulty concentrating. i was stating to get tired, too.

We both knew it wasn’t right. So we gave up and started our walk back home.

And then i ran into Dennis. Dennis is the cute-ist male Silky Terrier that i know. He’s always happy, no matter what dog or bi-ped he sees. And when we saw each other, he wagged his tail like there was no tomorrow and it took my mind off what had just happened and i was OK again.

My boss suffered some loss today - the loss of a work colleague. No doubt He’s feeling like i did when i lost the ball. i get to spend tonight inside for a change. The Boss gets to hug me and hold me and pet me and i get to lick the salt from His face.

We both feel for each other and our loss.

3 comments:

Charlie Daniels said...

G'day Caesar

Mate, sorry I haven't been around to visit you for a while .. things have been a bit rough at my place ...

I hope you and The Boss are feeling happier now. I am sorry for both your losses.

Cheers

Charlie

PeeEss: Thanks for the link to. Three one going from my place to your now :-)

Charlie Daniels said...

OK .. so see if you can guess where these words are supposed to go instead of the ones that are there ...

(1) too

(2) There

Charlie Daniels said...

Oi!

Watcha Doin' ?

Cheers

Charlie